Our Montessori-trained infant and toddler teachers form close bonds with the children, encouraging the development of language and body awareness through movement and exploration.
- Ms. Alyson is the Lead Toddler Teacher. She has been working for Brookfield Academy since 2012. She is currently attending Oakland Community College. During her free time, she enjoys figure skating and spending time with friends and family.
Preschool / Pre-Primary Teachers
Our Montessori-certified preschool or pre-primary teachers help children build and master important skills at critical periods – the moment they are most sensitive to acquiring a new skill or concept. Meet our Troy preschool teachers.
- Ms. Heather is a Lead Pre-primary Teacher. She has a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from Oakland University, specializing in language arts and science, and she obtained her Montessori Credential from the Montessori Teacher Training Institute in Adrian, Michigan. Miss Heather’s passion is working with children. She has 12 years of teaching experience, three of which have been spent at Brookfield Academy. She enjoys reading, running, and spending time outdoors.
- Mrs. Brinda is an Lead Teacher in the Pre-primary classroom. She has her Early Childhood Credential from Michigan Montessori Education Center. She has been working in a Montessori classroom since 2008. In her spare time, she loves reading, listening to music and taking care of her family.
- Mrs. Schaeffer is a Lead Children’s House Teacher. She has her Montessori Certification and has been teaching children at Brookfield Academy for 15 years. Working with children is Mrs. Schaeffer’s passion and joy. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with family and friends, shopping, and watching movies.
- Ms. VanNest is a Lead Children’s House Teacher. She has a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education from Marygrove College in Detroit and her Montessori Credential from the Michigan Montessori Teacher Education Center. This is her 35th year teaching at Brookfield Academy. Ms. VanNest enjoys spending time with her family and traveling.
Toddler / Preschool / Pre-Primary Associate Teachers
- Miss Leslie is an Associate Teacher in Pre-primary. She has worked at Brookfield Academy since 2000. She enjoys the variety that working at Brookfield brings. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with her grandsons.
- Ms. Myra has been an Associate Teacher at Brookfield Academy since 2001. She has a bachelor’s degree in child development and family life from Indiana State University. She is from a family of educators, with a combined 81 years of teaching. In her free time, she spends time with her three daughters, teaches bible school, is the founder of My Sister’s Closet and is a U of M fan. “I just love preschool children because you are working with the foundation of little minds.”
- Mrs. Sonia is an Associate Teacher. She has her master’s degree in ancient Indian history from India. She has been at Brookfield Academy since 2002. She enjoys working with children. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with her family and friends, traveling, shopping, and watching movies.
- Miss Stephanie has been an Associate Teacher at Brookfield since November, 2015. She is a graduate of Oakland University with a Bachelors of Art in Art History. As an undergraduate, Miss Stephanie also studied Psychology with a concentration in Child Development. She completed her Associate Montessori certification in January of 2016, and is currently working toward her lead teacher certification. During the summer of 2016, Miss Stephanie directed Brookfield’s summer camp program.
Miss Stephanie is passionate about learning and teaching young children. She enjoys reading children’s literature, especially aloud to students. With a background in art, dance, and musical theatre, she loves to have fun and be creative both inside and outside of the classroom.
- Ms Renda Hamzeh attended Oakland University and has a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and a minor in Sociology. She is committed to lifelong learning and preparing children for success in life. Teaching has always been her passion and highly values Dr. Maria Montessori method of education. Renda has over seven years experience working with children and is extremely delighted to be working at Brookfield Academy with the students, staff and families. She is a mother of a five year old daughter. In her free time she enjoys reading, cycling, yoga, swimming and traveling.
Our highly trained elementary school teachers combine high expectations for children with hands-on, challenging, and engaging materials in an environment designed to foster academic success and social skills. Meet our Troy elementary school teachers.
- Mrs. Stacey Hartwig
- Mrs. Teresa Khalaf
- Ms. Lima Mitra
- Mrs. Stephanie Kattola
- Ms. Jennifer Skalny
- Mrs. Nicole Deel
- Mrs. Hartwig is a Lead Elementary Teacher. She earned a Bachelor’s Degree with Honors in Elementary Education from Oakland University. Mrs. Hartwig loves teaching children because it is exciting to watch them learn and grow. Mrs. Hartwig’s favorite children’s books are the Dr. Seuss series. She enjoys traveling with family, spending time outdoors, reading and riding horses.
- Mrs. Khalaf is a Lead Elementary Teacher. She has a master’s degree in political science from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and her Montessori Credential from the Michigan Montessori Teacher Education Center in Rochester Hills, MI. She has 10 years of teaching experience and this is her third year at Brookfield Academy. Mrs. Khalaf enjoys reading, writing, yoga, and running.
- Ms. Mitra is a Lead Elementary teacher. She has a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Calcutta, India and her Montessori Credential from Michigan Montessori Teacher Education Center. Ms. Mitra enjoys working and challenging children in a nurturing environment. She has been teaching at Brookfield Academy for 20 years.
- Mrs. Kattola has been teaching at Brookfield Academy for six years. She has a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from Oakland University. Mrs. Kattola is Montessori trained for Lower Elementary and strongly believes in utilizing the Montessori Method and materials. Mrs. Kattola’s goal is to help children develop their potential by believing in them as capable individuals. She believes that each and every child has the potential to bring something unique and special to the world.
- Ms. Skalny is a Lead Elementary Teacher. She has a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from Oakland University and her Montessori Credential from Michigan Montessori Education Center in Rochester, MI. Ms. Skalny has 14 years of experience working with children; this is her sixth year at Brookfield Academy. In her free time she enjoys time with her family, reading, and watching sports. This spring will be receiving her master’s degree in special education from Saginaw Valley State University.
- My name is Mrs. Deel, and I will be instructing 3rd and 4th grade language arts and history. This is my tenth year teaching, and I love it. Teaching and learning are my passion. I consider myself a lifelong learner. I attended Western Michigan University where I received my B.A. in Elementary Education, and a M.A.T. Reading Specialist degree with an Early Childhood endorsement from Oakland University. The reason I became an educator is because of my fourth-grade teacher. She taught me how much I could love school. I want my students to look forward to coming to school.
I have two cats (Ra and Bandit). My hobbies include reading, fishing, scrapbooking, and disc golf. My family is the most important aspect of my life. They are very supportive, and I know that I can always count on them. I am very excited to start a family of my own.
Elementary Associate Teachers
- Ms. Sibani has earned her Bachelor of Arts (Vidyasaga College, India) and Bachelor of Education (Calcutta University, India) degrees. She has been a teacher since 1992 and enjoys helping and teaching the children. It is always a great joy watching them every day when they accomplish the work successfully. Ms. Sibani’s favorite children’s book is “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein.
- Mrs. Priti is an Associate Teacher. She has an Associate degree in Psychology from New Delhi, India. She has been working as an Associate Teacher at Brookfield Academy since 2008. Her passion is to make a difference in every child’s life. She has a positive attitude and loves to spend time with her family.
Club Brookfield Teachers
Club Brookfield teachers are sensitive to the social and emotional needs of children during before- and after-school times and school vacation days. They provide a safe, consistent atmosphere that ensures nurturing experiences for each child. Meet our Troy before & after school teachers.
Enrichment & Extracurricular Activities Teachers
Enrichment teachers and coaches foster children’s desires for new challenges and opportunities that celebrate their expanding world. Meet our enrichment & extracurricular activities teachers.
- Coach Culp is the Physical Education Teacher. He has a bachelor’s degree in sociology with a minor in child development from Michigan State University. Coach Culp has 20 years of experience working with children, with three of them being at Brookfield Academy. In his free time he coaches the freshman football team at Troy Athens H.S. and is also the President of the Detroit Spartans Alumni Club.
- Mr. Warren attended Oakland Community College and Mid-Michigan College in Lansing, Michigan. He also is a graduate of The Fire Academy and is a certified paramedic. Kyle has worked for Brookfield Academy Troy both as an associate teacher in child care and as a summer camp counselor. He is married and has a dog named, Luna. Mr. Warren is passionate about computer technology and enjoys spending time with his family, friends and Luna.
- Stephania is the Spanish teacher. She has been teaching since 2010 She has a Bachelors degree in exceptional education with the specialty in speech and language from ENSEJ in Mexico, and a continuing education from Universidad Complutense de Madrid in Madrid Spain. Stephania is passionate about teaching about her culture and language. On her free time she enjoys spending time with her family, exercising, having coffee and taking pictures.
- Ms. Cori is Art teacher. In the past she has been the Club Director/Summer Camp Director at the Troy Campus. She has worked at Brookfield Academy since 2008. She studied fine art at Adrian College and continues to paint, draw, and create in her free time. She loves being a positive part of each child’s day.
- Miss Rose studied music at Butler University in Indianapolis, IN, where she pursued her Bachelor degrees in Music and French, as well as her Master degree in Music. She plays and teaches several instruments, but performs primarily as a violinist. Miss Rose loves to play and teach many types of music, including classical, fiddle, pop, rock, and jazz. She enjoys the opportunity to be an educator as well as a performer, and is excited to be able to share her knowledge with the students at Brookfield Academy.
School administrators uphold the Montessori mission to provide children with an individualized education that helps them achieve academic success. They work hand in hand with their faculty and families to nurture each child’s individual, unique potential. Meet our Troy school administrators.
- Mrs. Lisa has been the principal at Brookfield for seven years. She has a bachelor’s degree in education from Rochester College and her master’s degree in educational leadership from Saginaw Valley. Mrs. Lisa has taught toddler through 5th grade in her 26 year career. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her family and friends. Mrs. Lisa loves to travel to warm climates.
- Mr. Cronk has been a teacher at Brookfield Academy for 15 years. He started in the after-school program, worked as a classroom assistant in the Pre-Primary/Kindergarten classroom, and in the fall of 2000, began teaching computers. He takes a hands-on approach to technology and teaches the students how items work, not just how to use them. Additionally, Mr. Jim runs the Brookfield Academy Lego group and coordinates the annual 5th grade trip to Huntsville, Alabama to attend Space Camp. He really enjoys keeping the children involved and excited about technology, while also preparing them for the future. Starting fall of 2015, Mr. Jim has become part of the administrative team, moving into the role of Assistant Principal.
- Ms. Kali joined Brookfield Academy as the Business Manager in the summer of 2016, she has previously worked her as an associate teacher and also attended school here as a child. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies in Human Resources and Society from Michigan State University. She is thrilled to be a part of the Brookfield team again. Ms. Kali recently got married and purchased a home, in her free time likes to spend time with her family and puppy.